Thursday, August 25, 2011

Blog Assignmnt 1

About Me
Hello everyone.  My name is Ashleigh Strasser.  I am 30 years old and I have just began my junior year at the University of South Alabama.  My major is Elementary Education.  I have been married to my husband Paul for 10 years now and we have 2 daughters Autumn, 9 and Summer, 7.  I also have a step daughter Shayna, 15.  We are very involved in our children's lives.  We coach them in softball and I am currently coaching my youngest in city league cheer leading.  We don't miss anything when it comes to our children.  I know that in a few years, they are going to want me to "leave them alone" so we are cherishing them wanting us as long as we can.  We love to camp or spend time on the water. Anything we can do as a family is bound to be a great time.  I was born in Fairhope and have lived in Daphne my whole life.  I graduated from Daphne High School in 1999 and attended Faulkner State Community College that fall.  Needless to say, it wasn't my time to attend college so I took off a school year to find myself.  In that year, I got married and had a baby.  Now, 10 years later, I am back at it again.  I graduated from Faulkner in May 2011 and started USA in the fall.  I am vary passionate about children and their differences.  It amazes me how smart they really are.  Children are brilliant individuals and I am very excited about getting my own classroom full of children ready and eager to learn. 

Randy Pausch on Time Management
I really enjoyed the video on time management.  Randy Pausch made many good points.  When he said we are bad at dealing with time and good at dealing with money, I disagree.  I consider myself to be opposite.  I deal with time better than money.  If I have $5, I'll spend $10 but give me and hour and I'll do it 30 minutes.  I guess it's all in how we do what we do.  My favorite quote was "Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement."  WOW!!!!  That really makes you think.  I feel that it is important to learn from you mistakes.  If you don't, you will never become a better or stronger person.  I believe that our strengths and weaknesses are based on our past.  We develop fears and we conquer them.  Another thing he said that I like is "You can always change our plan, but only once you HAVE one."  That is so true.  When you are making your class schedule.  You go through classes and make decisions and change your mind several times.  That is how I feel time management works.  You can adjust your schedule but only once it has been made. 

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to EDM310.

    What else did you find out about Dr. Pausch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashleigh! Glad I was finally able to find you. I think it's pretty awesome that you are so involved with your daughter's lives. When I was growing, my parents were involved with us as well and it made all the difference in the world. I also liked reading what you took away from the Dr. Pausch video. We all have different things that speak to us in different scenarios. Good luck with this semester! I'm sure we'll both need it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Dr. Pausch is a very organized person. He strikes me as someone that always has a tentative schedule and knows that if it changes, it is ok. He obviously learns from his mistakes and takes what he learns to heart.

    ReplyDelete