Thursday, September 15, 2011

Blog #4

This is a picture to illustrate a podcast.

After reading the blog from Langwitches, I am very impressed about the ideas for podcasts with first graders. I think it is great that the students were following along using the script.  Word recognition is crucial at this age.  This is a great idea.  I also thought the idea about starting at the beginning of the school year and podcasting with other students is a great idea as well.  It gives students the opportunity to hear the different accents spoken around the world.  I can't wait to incorporate this into my lesson plan.

After reading the benefits of podcasting in the classroom, there are some benefits that I didn't think of to podcasting.  I like the idea of taping a lesson and having it available for the students to watch later to study and review.  It can also help a child that was out sick know what was taught that day and helps them to catch up.  While reading stories, it gives the students to demonstrate emotion to help capture the moment of what they are reading.  The students love podcasting and it makes them eager to learn.

After reading 100 ways to use your iPod to learn and study better, I have a better understanding of the multiple tasks of an iPod.  There are so man y different sites to go to that focus on iPods and podcasts.  More  and more students are using ebooks and podcasts as a way of learning and more teachers are using the same tools to teach.  I think that it's great that these tools are so accessible to students so they are able to keep up with technology.  Anything that makes learning fun sounds like something worth trying.  

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I was unable to comment on the blog that I was assigned and so I picked yours. Like you, I read the benefits of podcasting in the classroom. I believe that recording a podcast and having it available to students is a wonderful idea. I was always afraid of missing school because I knew I would miss something important. However, with podcasting that is not an issue. I also read the article 100 ways to use your iPod and I was so shocked at everything that I am able to do on my iPod. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashleigh

    I agree that podcasts are great for students and teachers also. When students are sick and can't make it to school, it provides an alternative way to actually receive the material missed in school. Besides, who wants a sick child coming to school and spreading their germs around to other students and possibly the teacher?

    You also brought up word recognition which is something I hadn't thought of before. The students will hear the words and also read them and this is perfect practice for beginner readers. There are so many benefits of podcasts; the end results are truly limitless.

    Finally, you mention "Anything that makes learning fun sounds like something worth trying." I couldn't agree more. What can it hurt to try something new? What do you know? The students may like it and you may have just made new learners out of uninterested students.

    Great post! I enjoyed reading it.

    Ramsey Willis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughtful. Thorough. Be a podcasting teacher.

    ReplyDelete