Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Blog #9

This is a picture of a teacher scared about their first day of school


In the blog post "What I have learned this year (2008-09)", Mr McClung makes some great points about being a first year teacher.  I really like what he said about the student writing that the teacher really cares because he listens to me.  What a motivation!!!  This is something that needs to be done for the respect that you are going to want from your students.  I agree with his points on flexibility.  You have to flexible when handling children.  They are way to unpredictable to know what will really happen next.  I likes his thought on setting reasonable goals for your students.  You don't want them to be discouraged for not reaching a goal, you want them to challenge themselves to where the goal is reachable with some hard work and dedication.  I couldn't agree more with the never stop learning post.  People are always making new discoveries, trying new things, coming up with new ideas or programs to make something better.  You will never know these things if all you do is go to the classroom, open the book, teach and go home.  Keeping up with the technological world that we live in is a constant learning process but with hard work and dedication, your students will shine and reflect from what you teach them.

In the blog post "What I have learned this year (2010-11), I can see how easy it is to get in a routine and forget about why we are here and what our purpose is.  He makes some great points about how to stay focused.  I can relate to his comments about knowing who your boss is.  I am always trying to please everyone around me.  I really like the comments about don't touch the keyboard.  I am a true believer in thinking that you will only learn it if you do it yourself.  My children get so mad at me because I will not tell them the answer.  I will help them find it but they have to do it.  I think that also teaches them the research skills that they will need to get through life.  You don't always have the answer right there, but can you find it?

3 comments:

  1. I also agreed with much of what Mr. McClung said, especially about keeping your focus on your students and not touching the keyboard. I can appreciate the fact that you don't give your children the answers, you make them find the answers. I have a first grader and have come to the realization that I do everything for her! I know I'm going to have to get my hands off the keyboard so that I can enable her to learn things on her own. I think you had a good post, Ashleigh. I just saw a few errors. In both paragraphs, all words in quotes should be capitalized. You left out "be" in "You have to flexible when handling children," and "to" should be "too" in "They are way to unpredictable..." Other than those couple of errors, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    It is clear that you have learned a great deal from Mr. McClung's experiences. Good job on the blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry, your name is Ashleigh! I got thrown off because your EDM 310 Blog Name is Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete